The latest Aon New Zealand Under 15 boys and girls national basketball squads have been selected after a Basketball New Zealand age-group selection camp last April.
Basketball New Zealand’s High Performance Manager, Leonard King, says the players named have earned their spots after successfully showing they have emerging skill and talent to the national coaches.
“I trust that all of the athletes are excited to be formally announced in the Aon Under 15 New Zealand squad. This is the next step in the pathway to representing New Zealand.
“All squad members will be observed and evaluated at the 2018 Under 17 and Under 15 National Championships, and a final team selection will happen at the conclusion of those championships,” said King.
Aon New Zealand Under 15 Girls
• Reese Anderson, Waikato Basketball Council
• Makenzee Boucher, North Harbour Basketball
• Florence Dallow, North Harbour Basketball
• Jyordanna Davey, Hutt Valley Basketball
• Taiana Day, Tauranga City Basketball
• Zaaliyah Kailahi-Fulu, North Harbour Basketball
• Odessa Lawson, Waitakere West Auckland Basketball Inc
• Kataleena Leslie, Waitakere West Auckland Basketball Inc
• Riana Matiseni, Waitakere West Auckland Basketball Inc
• Hineaupounamu (Missy) Nuku, Tauranga City Basketball
• Alana Paewai, Waikato Basketball Council
• Janaya Preece, Basketball Hawkes Bay
• Emma Pugh, Hibiscus Coast Basketball
• Annabelle Ring, Basketball Otago
• Dekoda Roberts, Rotorua Basketball Association
• Anita Samasoni, Basketball Otago
• Melika Samia, Basketball Hawkes Bay
• Breeje Schuler, Te Aroha Basketball Association / Waikato
• Hope Stanshall, Palmerston North Basketball
• Sera Taei, Basketball Auckland
• Vitolia Tuilave, Tauranga City Basketball
• Jayze'lee Waihi, Waikato Basketball Association
• Gemma Walsh, New Plymouth Basketball
• Olivia Williams, San Francisco USA
• Sam Woolford, Hibiscus Coast Basketball
• Management – Head Coach: Natalie Visger. Assistant Coaches: Justine Reed, Kaea Samson, Frances Tilly (not travelling to PNG) and Bronwen Davidson (not travelling to PNG). Manager: Glenda Kaan.
Aon New Zealand Under 15 Boys
• Max Abbot, Wellington
• Josh Book, Nelson
• Kazlo Evans Jr, Waikato
• Sam Gallagher, Canterbury
• Ben Gold, Wellington
• Junior James De Young, Te Aroha Basketball Association / Waikato
• Toby Kendon, Hawke's Bay
• Levic Kerr, Auckland
• Tanae Lavery, Canterbury
• Mosiah MacDonald, Manawatu
• Jay Marsh, Nelson
• Akiva McBirney-Griffin, Waikato
• Ezekiel Priest, Harbour
• Tawhiao Puriri, Harbour
• Zach Riley, Harbour
• Dontae Russo-Nance, Waitakere
• Greg Rodger, Canterbury
• Riley Sa, Mid Canterbury
• Harrison Smith, Counties
• Will Stodart, Southland
• Sataan Tawera, Auckland
• Jett Thompson, Harbour
• Reegan Trego, Gold Coast
• Wairehu Waata, Hawke's Bay
• Paora Winitana, Harbour
• Tautoko Wynyard, Waitakere
• Management – Head Coach: TBA. Assistant Coach (and Acting Head Coach): Morgan Maskell. Assistant Coach: Brent Matehaere. Managers: Paulette Leef and Mike Cockburn.
Both Under 15 teams will represent New Zealand at the 2018 FIBA Oceania Championships in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, in December.
For those players that were not selected, King said they should hold onto their belief in making future squads.
“This is still a very young age group, and many players need time to grow and develop. My message to those players is keep having fun and working on those fundamental skills, because time can provide wonderful opportunities for young players. Never lose heart, work hard and you may be making these lists in age-group teams to come. Many other players have done just that before you.”
For more go to www.nz.basketball and Basketball New Zealand’s social media channels: @BasketballNZ Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.