Stat Line: 22 points (8/12 FG), ten assists, five rebounds in the 102-93 win over Taranaki & 22 points (8/10 FG), eights assists in the 120-91 win over Canterbury Rams
Last year’s Finals MVP Lindsay Tait is Round One player of the week, for leading the Wellington Saints to two wins.
The Tall Black point guard opened 2015 with a double-double of 22 points and ten assists in a road win over the Augusta Airs, then backed it up on Monday with 22 points in a home win over the Canterbury Rams.
One player who was unlucky not to earn the honour was rookie centre Josh Duinker, who on debut had 33 points and nine rebounds in the Mike Pero Nelson Giants 111-89 win over the Supercity Rangers. Duinker didn’t quite reach those height against the Hawks, but collected 15 points and nine rebounds in the 75-68 win over the IMS Payroll Hawks.
Duinker’s team mate McKenzie Moore was a standout performer for the Giants win over the Hawks, tallying 17 points, eight rebounds, four assists, three steals and two blocks. The six foot six guard is going to be a match up nightmare for his smaller opponents.
The Zerofees Southland Sharks opened their account with solid 100-74 win over the Breakers Manawatu Jets. Former Townsville star Todd Blanchfield is an early contender to win the scoring title after his 28 point haul. Blanchfield was able to do this despite converting only one from seven three point attempts, which will be a scary thought for opposition teams when he is able to get that going.
17 year old former Otago player Sam Timmins made the most of his first start for the Canterbury Rams, scoring 20 in their 114-98 win over the Jets. Timmins also grabbed nine rebounds, shot 9/12 from the field, and all in twenty minutes.
Despite going down to the Saints, Taranaki were competitive for the majority of the contest thanks to their new import Aaron Fuller. The former USC Trojan had 22 points, nine rebounds and four blocks.
Round One Scores
1. Lindsay Tait (Wellington Saints) v Augusta Airs
2. Josh Duinker (Mike Pero Nelson Giants) v James Blond Supercity Rangers
3. Todd Blanchfield* (Zerofees Southland Sharks) v Breakers Manawatu Jets
4. Aaron Fuller (Augusta Airs) v Wellington Saints
5. Mickell Gladness (Canterbury Rams) v Wellington Saints
6. Lindsay Tait (Wellington Saints) v Canterbury Rams
7. McKenzie Moore (Mike Pero Nelson Giants) v IMS Payroll Hawks
8. Dion Prewster (Wellington Saints) v Canterbury Rams
9. Sam Timmins (Canterbury Rams) v Breakers Manawatu Jets
10. Four Tied