This afternoon at 3pm, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced Cabinet’s decision that COVID-19 restrictions will continue at their current level until at least 11.59pm on Sunday night (Auckland at Alert Level 3 and the rest of New Zealand at Alert Level 2).
Then, from 11:59pm on Sunday 30 August, Auckland is expected to join the rest of New Zealand at Alert Level Two, but with additional restrictions on gathering sizes including no more than 10 in Auckland, except for tangihanga and funerals which allow 50 people. Masks also become a requirement on public transport throughout New Zealand. (Full update on the Government COVID-19 website here).
Basketball New Zealand has been in discussions with our stakeholders, including our Associations, in regards to our remaining national events in 2020 (listed below). Further discussions are planned for tomorrow morning. We hope to communicate the basketball community with further updates by tomorrow afternoon.
Remaining BBNZ age-group events in 2020
The U13 regionals, 7-10 October:
- U13 Northern Regional Championships at Eventfinda Stadium, YMCA North Shore, AUT North Shore, hosted by Harbour Basketball.
- U13 Central Regional Championships at Pettigrew Green Arena, Centennial Hall, Hastings Sports Centre, hosted by Basketball Hawke’s Bay.
- U13 Southern Regional Championships, EA Networks Centre & Basketball Mid-Canterbury Stadium, hosted by Basketball Mid Canterbury
- The Secondary Schools National Championships. Currently scheduled 28 September to 3 October at the Central Energy Trust Arena in Palmerston North.
- Aon U15 Nationals. Currently scheduled for Saturday 24 October to Monday 26 October (Labour Weekend) at Pulman Arena in Auckland.
- Aon U17 Nationals. Currently scheduled for Saturday 24 October to Monday 26 October (Labour Weekend) at Cowles Stadium and Bishopdale YMCA in Christchurch.
- Schick 3×3 Cup, ILT Stadium, Invercargill (currently postponed to a date yet to be announced).