Rule Changes for 2023
FIBA has announced some changes to the Official Basketball Rules that took effect globally from 1 October 2022. Because this date falls within our normal season, the rule changes will apply in New Zealand from 1 January 2023.
Many of the changes are minor or improved wording to aid clarity.
All rule changes can be found here.
Basketball NZ 2023 Tournaments Calendar can be found here.
Tournaments in 2023 are:
UTSNZ calendar can be found here.
University and Tertiary Sport New Zealand is a not-for-profit organisation that enables competition and workforce opportunities for tertiary students in sport.
UTSNZ, in conjunction with its partners, enables tertiary students to represent their Whare Wānanga in sport at a regional or national event and their country at an international level. Through its initiatives and partnerships, UTSNZ also aims to provide sport workforce opportunities that enhance student employability and build future sector capability.
UTSNZ is committed to educating all audiences as research clearly shows the importance to keeping active between the ages of 18-24 – this a time when motivation and energy levels drop and lifestyles change significantly. The research shows that keeping active and socially connected is good for general well-being, as well as positively impacting on student academic performance and employability.
Team & Player Registrations
Registration of a team and players is through an online form. UTSNZ affiliated members will be sent the registration link.
The process to register is through two online forms and paper form:
- Team Registration Form:
- enter your team through the online form to secure a place in the relative competition.
- All compulsory details must be completed accurately.
- Once the team registration form has been completed and submitted, the next process is completing the player registration form per person.
- Player Registration Form:
- After completing the team registration form, you will received a confirmation email and a different link to enter your players into your team.
Regulations for Eligibility
To be eligible to compete in an UTSNZ event, for the duration of the event participants must meet the following five criteria:
- Be a currently enrolled student.
- Be enrolled in a certificate or higher award offered by the member institution or by a recognised feeder school of the tertiary institution.
- Be able to prove their identity and must be able to prove their enrolment if requested.
- Have authorisation from the member via the online registration process or eligibility form that the student is eligible to compete.
- Have signed and submitted the UTSNZ participation agreement.
UTSNZ are responsible for all Eligibility checks. A full list of the regulations can be found here.
Teams must complete the UTSNZ Participation Agreement and Signee Form which can be found here.
Participants are required to read the agreement and sign the form prior to attending the tournament. The signee form must be emailed to the BBNZ Office by the schedule due date.
Seeding for Tournaments
As there are no Qualifying Competitions, seedings shall be based on the standing of teams from the previous year’s competition. The snake method will be used to place teams into pools.
Please note: BBNZ will establish the competition pool structure and the teams within each pool and the game schedule for all BBNZ Competitions. The structure for draws of BBNZ Competitions is subject to availability of court space, time, and the number of teams and days of the Competition. BBNZ has the right, in its complete discretion, to decide the structure, seedings and draw as required to meet the practical needs of any BBNZ Competition.
Draws & Results
Basketball NZ uses GameDay for all of our online draws and results.
All draws and results for representative tournaments can be found here.
Alternatively, you can download the GameDay app, and follow these steps:
- Click on the Tshirt at the bottom of the page
- Search ‘BBNZ’ under ‘Leagues’
- Click on BBNZ Tournaments
- You can then find the tournament that you are wanting to follow
The Molten BG3800 Composite Leather Basketball is used for all age group tournaments:
- Size 6 – B6G3800
- Size 7 – B7G3800
A reminder that if orders are received before the end of February, associations will received an additional 20% off all association pricing for selected Molten products!
Visit the BBNZ Shop to purchase basketballs for your club.
Contact Basketball NZ: firstname.lastname@example.org | phone: (04) 498 5950
Contact UTSNZ: email@example.com | phone: 027 623 0824