The first leg of the 3×3 Quest Tour saw several of New Zealand’s most renown half-court ballers turn out and dominate the first stop at Auckland’s The Trusts Arena this past weekend.
Four different grades took part on Saturday (18 Jan), with 3×3 regulars ‘Swish’ taking home the Open Men’s title in a closely fought final with ‘Coasties’, 21-19.
Earlier in the day, Coasties had got the better of their fellow finalists, 15-11. Swish, made up of the country’s top-four ranked 3×3 players in Karl Noyer, Aaron Bailey-Nowell, Thomas Allan and Zac Easthope, then strung together eight wins in a row and booked their place in the Tour’s final in Christchurch.
Across the three Youthtown grades, ‘Samurai’ won the Junior Mixed with a 14-9 triumph over ‘Junior Lady Rangers. This was followed by ‘We Don’t Know a Name’ getting up 22-15 over ‘Canada’s Poor Men’ in the Under 17 Mixed, and ‘Lanks’ toppling ‘New Era’ 15-13 in the Senior Mixed.
Many of teams will likely be on show at the next stop of the Tour, which is to be held on 1 February at Eventfinda Stadium on the North Shore.
Entries to this leg are welcomed and open to players of all ages. It’s easy to be a part of this exciting event. Just create a player profile, reply to the confirmation email and you’re then eligible to register a team.
Results of Auckland West leg of 3×3 Quest Tour (week one):
Open Men’s Winners – Swish
- Karl Noyer
- Aaron Bailey-Nowell
- Thomas Allan
- Zac Easthope
Open Men’s Runner-up – Coasties
- Chris McIntosh
- Adam Dunstan
- Ben Castle
- Dominique Kelman-Poto
Youthtown Senior Mixed – Lanks
- Ernest Kerr
- Finlay Martin
- Tai McLachlan
Youthtown Under 17 Mixed – We Don’t Know a Name
- Scott Errey
- Aaron Sievert
- Liam Burke
- Tom Beattie
Youthtown Junior Mixed – Samurai
- Daniel Lawler
- Daniel Woods
- Tom Lovell
3×3 Quest Tour Schedule, 2020:
- Sat 18 Jan Auckland (West) – The Trusts Arena, Henderson, Auckland
- Sat 1 Feb Auckland (North) – Eventfinda Stadium, Wairau Valley, Auckland
- Sat 15 Feb Tauranga – Harbourside Netball Centre, Blake Park, Mt Maunganui
- Sat 22 Feb Wellington – Odlins Plaza, Wellington Waterfront
- Sun 1 Mar Dunedin – The Octagon, Dunedin
- Sat 7 Mar Christchurch – Hagley Park Netball Courts, Christchurch
- Sat 28 Mar Final (Christchurch)* – Ara Recreational Centre, Christchurch
* This final event is the World Tour Qualifier Final and is only open to the Open Men’s Grade teams that qualified at one of the above regional events. No other grades will play at this event.