BBNZ UPDATE 8
Please find changes to more events below.
Our focus continues to be the safety and wellbeing of our athletes, staff and community. We are actively following advice issued by the New Zealand Government.
UNDER 14 CAMP
Due to the evolving COVID-19 situation, the BBNZ Under 14 Camp that was set to take place at Tui Ridge in Rotorua (16-19 April) has been cancelled for 2020. The associated tour to Melbourne will not proceed also.
A full refund of your camp fee will be made. An email has been sent to participants’ contacts outlining the process for this.
JUNIOR TALL BLACKS – Albert Schweitzer Tournament
We have been advised that the Albert Schweitzer Tournament has been cancelled.
Of course we are disappointed that our team will not be able to participate in the prestigious tournament, but we support this decision. It is also in alignment with FIBA’s decision to suspend all its competitions.
UNDER 17 WORLD CUP – BOYS
As reported last week, FIBA took the decision to cancel the FIBA U16 Asian Championships due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak. As a result, FIBA decided that the top four Asian teams to qualify for the U17 World Championships from the Asian region would be based on the highest ranked countries according to the FIBA Youth Rankings. After the final calculations New Zealand and Japan (boys) were tied on equal points as the fourth best team. On Friday 13 March, FIBA suspended all FIBA competitions.
Once FIBA operation resume, BBNZ will discuss with FIBA how that fourth best-placed Asian team qualifies to attend the U17 World Championships. When we have that information, BBNZ will communicate the next step. Given the uncertainty of the COVID-19 situation, we are yet to have a timeline in place for this decision.
UPDATE ON SECONDARY SCHOOLS 3X3 CHAMPS
Following yesterday’s announcement from the Government that gatherings and events of over 500 people should be cancelled, the board of School Sport New Zealand (SSNZ) confirmed that all events on their national calendar are suspended. This means the 2020 Secondary Schools 3X3 Champs will not go ahead on 1-3 April.
The possibility of rescheduling this event in 2020 will be discussed with SSNZ at a later date
We understand that schools may have travel and accommodation bookings for these tournament dates, and payments may have been made with the possibility to be refunded if cancelled within a certain date. We suggest schools make contact with the accommodation or travel operators to cancel bookings.
BBNZ will provide full refunds to those schools who have paid the tournament entry fee. An email has been sent to schools outlining the process for this.
MINISTRY OF HEALTH INFORMATION:
- Wash your hands
- If you don’t need to travel overseas, then don’t. Enjoy your own back yard for a time.
- If you’re sick, stay home
- If you sneeze, do it into your elbow
- Stop handshakes, hugs, and hongi
- Please be mindful of the older citizens in your life. Check in on them, but if you’re sick, keep your distance
- Anyone arriving from overseas must follow the self-isolation process
- Do what is best for you and your communities to keep them safe and healthy.
Protecting people’s health is our priority, while also operating within this situation as best we can. We will take actions to respond to the changing situation as expected by the government.