New Zealand has dominated the first day of action at the FIBA 3×3 World Cup Qualifier Asia 2022 in Doha overnight; both teams going unbeaten to finish atop their respective pools.
The 3×3 Tall Ferns tipped things off in Pool A with their first match, easily defeating Qatar 21-4 thanks to 10 points from sharpshooter Tiarna Clarke.
They then dispatched Iran 20-11 in their second game, with Clarke registering an impressive 17 points. New Zealand will face Kazakhstan for a place in tomorrow’s final, while Uzbekistan will face Iran – the winner of each bracket progressing to the final.
Meanwhile the 3×3 Tall Blacks topped Pool A thanks to a 21-15 victory over Qatar, followed by a 21-9 win against Kazakhstan. Nikau McCullough led the Tall Blacks with 17 points and finished as the top scorer of Day 1, while Tai Wynyard delivered several highlights above the rim.
New Zealand will play Malaysia in tomorrow’s knock-out rounds, while Iran will face Qatar to determine the finalists.
The winners of each category will qualify for the FIBA 3×3 World Cup 2022, which is being held in Antwerp on 21-26 June.
Check out this morning’s 3×3 games in full at: https://tinyurl.com/ydt59948
Women’s Finals, 26 March (27 March NZ time)
- 3.10am NZ time (5.10pm local) – Semi-final #1, Tall Ferns vs. Kazakhstan
- 3.45am NZ time (5.45pm local) – Semi-final #2, Uzbekistan vs. Iran
- 5.30am NZ time (7.30pm local) – Women’s Final
Men’s Finals, 26 March (27 March NZ time)
- 4.20am NZ time (6.20pm local) – Semi-final #1, Tall Blacks vs. Malaysia
- 4.55am NZ time (6.55pm local) – Semi-final #2, Iran vs. Qatar
- 6.05am NZ time (8.05pm local) – Men’s Final