Playing a second game in as many days the Tall Ferns have defeated Shoin University 89-68 in Atsugi, Japan.
Harbour Breeze forward Penina Davidson and Melbourne Boomers signing Stella Beck led the Kiwis scoring notching 18 points apiece. Canterbury Wildcats forward Tessa Boagni duplicated her effort from the day before against Japan scoring 12 points whilst Kalani Purcell (9 points), Chevannah Paalvast (8 points) and Charlisse Leger-Walker (7 points) all made useful contributions.
Having conceded a 16-point advantage in the opening quarter against the Japanese national team the day before, the Kiwis made a much better start against Shoin opening up a 31-14 lead in the opening period.
The two teams split 30 points in the second period before the Tall Ferns moved further ahead after the half-time break leading 72-48 at three-quarter time.
Amy West, nursing an ankle sprain, missed the game. Otherwise all members of the 14-player squad played significant minutes.
Tall Ferns Head Coach Guy Molloy was satisfied with his team’s performance.
“Shoin University were a typical Japanese club team, small but very fast and great shooters. Generally we played excellent defence and executed well in offence.”
Molloy said the team left with lesson learnt, including a goal to improve their shooting.
“The performance was only marred by the sub-standard shooting around the rim. Legitimately we should have scored about 110 points but missed far too many easy baskets. This will be the focus before we play the Japanese national team for the second time. Otherwise the team played very well,” said Molloy.
Ultimately the Tall Ferns are working towards the 2020 Olympics qualification and this is an early step for the young team.
“One of the goals is to really focus on and improve our defence as we head towards the big FIBA qualification events later in the year and also to head to the William Jones Cup very well prepared with the hope of winning a number of games there,” said Molloy.
TALL FERNS TEAM:
1. Stella Beck (Launceston Tornadoes/Melbourne Boomers)
2. Tessa Boagni (Alloyfold Canterbury Wildcats)
3. Micaela Cocks (Townsville Fire)
4. Penina Davidson (Harbour Breeze/Melbourne Boomers)
5. Toni Farnworth (Ringwood Hawks/Perth Lynx)
6. Matanigiroa Flavell (Harbour Breeze)*
7. Ella Fotu (Harbour Breeze)*
8. Mary Goulding (Rockhampton Cyclones)*
9. Charlisse Leger-Walker (Waikato Wizards)
10. Esra McGoldrick (McAlpines M10 Mega North Canterbury Spirit / NC State University)*
11. Chevannah Paalvast (Sunshine Coast Rip)
12. Kalani Purcell (Auckland Dream/Melbourne Boomers)
13. Zoe Richards (AM I FIT Otago Gold Rush/Eckerd College)*
14. Amy West (McAlpines M10 Mega North Canterbury Spirit / Liberty University)*
Team schedule: http://www.nz.basketball/Tall-Ferns/Schedule
Follow the Tall Ferns social media channels: @TallFerns Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. Hashtag: #TallFerns