The University of Canterbury’s ‘Maroon.EXE’ took home the 3×3 Quest Tour’s last qualification crown after beating ‘IOH.EXE’ in Christchurch on Saturday.
The final was contested with ‘IOH.EXE’, with the university side finishing the day a perfect nine from nine after winning the final 16-11.
UC Maroon.EXE Captain Brent Fisher says it was good to brush the cobwebs off and put together some solid performances.
“It was great to get back out there with the UC.EXE team that played in the South Island league of the [3×3.EXE] as well as in Tokyo [finals].
“We were a bit rusty at the start but came together well having also played lots of years in the Canterbury Basketball Premier competition together.
“The level of the competition was much greater than last year’s Quest Tour and it was great to go up against all of the 3×3.EXE teams and the NZ rep players as well.
“We are excited about the Quest Tour finals in three weeks. Getting a chance to play against the other top teams in New Zealand will be something we are really looking forward to preparing for.”
UC Maroon.EXE join the five other leg winners with entry to the Open Men’s finals in Christchurch in three weeks times. Three wildcard teams will also be invited to play for the big prize.
A total of 35 teams played a part on the weekend, with 16 of those competing in the Open Men’s event.
There were also a number of prominent women on hand, with players from the Alloyfold Canterbury Wildcats and Lincoln University showcasing their skills.
They competed in two of the three mixed grades and made the games difficult for their male counterparts.
One of these was the Youthtown Senior Mixed, which was won by ‘Te Pa’ who snuck past ‘YTB’ 14-13 in their title bout.
The Youthtown Under 17 Mixed section was won by ‘Oh Hell’ and the Youthtown Junior Mixed was taken out by ‘Hugo’.
Results of Christchurch’s leg of 3×3 Quest Tour (week six):
Open Men’s Winners – UC Maroon.EXE
- Brent Fisher
- Jack Exeter
- Josh Petermann
- Paul Stephenson
Open Men’s Runner-up – IOH.EXE
- Ben Nelson
- Adam Morgan
- Ben Harris
- Sam Riley
Youthtown Senior Mixed – Te Pa
- Jerusalem Moeke
- Anaru Takurua
- Koia Fraser
Youthtown Under 17 Mixed – Oh Hell
- Kobe Northmore
- Jake Banks
- Joel Proudfoot
- Peter Taylor
Youthtown Junior Mixed – Hugo
- Hugo Gonzalez
- Harry Weston
- Louie Gordon
- Nicholas Book
3×3 Quest Tour Schedule, 2020:
- Sat 18 Jan Auckland (West) – The Trusts Arena, Henderson, Auckland
- Sat 1 Feb Auckland (North) – Eventfinda Stadium, Wairau Valley, Auckland
- Sat 15 Feb Tauranga – Harbourside Netball Centre, Blake Park, Mt Maunganui
- Sat 22 Feb Wellington – Odlins Plaza, Wellington Waterfront
- Sun 1 Mar Dunedin – The Octagon, Dunedin
- Sat 7 Mar Christchurch – Hagley Park Netball Courts, Christchurch
- Sat 28 Mar Final (Christchurch)* – Ara Recreational Centre, Christchurch
* This final event is the World Tour Qualifier Final and is only open to the Open Men’s Grade teams that qualified at one of the above regional events. No other grades will play at this event.