The next leg of the Youthtown 3×3 Quest Tour sees the event heading to Tauranga this Sunday, with a large number of teams already registered across the men’s and women’s categories.
The second Quest Tour event will be held at Trustpower Arena in Baypark from 10am – 3pm on Sunday 23 January. As with previous Quest Tour events, entry is free for all teams across the under 15, under 17, under 19 and Open age-groups and spectators are encouraged to come down to watch the fast-paced, competitive and fun games on offer – and to support the local players.
One young athlete looking forward to this event is 16-year-old Elise, who will join her teammates in the U17 Female category for the ‘Trashcanrookiez’ team. Elise says that the Youthtown 3×3 Quest Tour is a “fun and intense” way for her and her teammates to play together after a period of time away from basketball.
“We just want to have some fun [at the event], we’re all looking forward to playing with and against each other – especially because most of us girls haven’t touched a ball or played all summer,” says Elise.
“So it’s a good chance for us to get back into the swing of things, and our friends are in the other teams too – to see them and play against them will be great and I can’t wait.”
In addition to participating in the Quest Tour this year and in previous years, Elise plays 3×3 basketball for Hamilton Girls High School as well as through tournaments held at Basketball NZ Camps; all of which help generate FIBA ranking points to lift her in the national 3X3 standings.
“I think it’s just a good opportunity for us girls to have fun in the pre-season, it’s quite competitive but everyone knows that it’s a good opportunity to get our heads back in the game and just play basketball against each other.
“I love the environment; it’s very hyped with a lot of music, a lot of people watching and cheering – it’s great to be there to support everyone on and off the court.”
At a Glance:
- The second Youthtown 3×3 Quest Tour event is this Sunday 23 Jan at Tauranga’s Trustpower Arena in Baypark
- The event is free for players and spectators, with Covid restrictions in place to ensure everyone is kept safe
- Teams can register online either prior to the day, or before 9.15am on the day – via nz.basketball/3×3/3×3-quest-tour
- This is the second of six 3×3 Quest Tour events being held around New Zealand over the next three months, with the Quest Final to be held in Auckland on 12 March 2022
- Follow the event on Basketball New Zealand’s Social media accounts on @BasketballNZ via Facebook, Instagram, Twitter