COVID-19 Update: Schick 3×3 Cup Postponed and update on Basketball New Zealand events remaining in 2020

With Auckland currently in Alert 3 and the rest of New Zealand in Alert 2, Basketball New Zealand is awaiting the Government’s update before making further decisions about the following basketball events, which remain scheduled for 2020:

  • The U13 regionals, 7-10 October:
    • U13 Northern Regional Championships at Eventfinda Stadium, YMCA North Shore, AUT North Shore, hosted by Harbour Basketball.
    • U13 Central Regional Championships at Pettigrew Green Arena, Centennial Hall, Hastings Sports Centre, hosted by Basketball Hawke’s Bay.
    • U13 Southern Regional Championships, EA Networks Centre & Basketball Mid-Canterbury Stadium, hosted by Basketball Mid Canterbury
  • National Events:
    • The Secondary Schools National Championships. Currently schedule 28 September to 3 October at the Central Energy Trust Arena in Palmerston North.
    • Aon U15 Nationals. Currently scheduled for Saturday 24 October to Monday 26 October (Labour Weekend) at Pulman Arena in Auckland.
    • Aon U17 Nationals. Currently scheduled for Saturday 24 October to Monday 26 October (Labour Weekend) at Cowles Stadium and Bishopdale YMCA in Christchurch.

Decisions | In the coming days, we will be seeking input from many of the General Managers of Associations throughout New Zealand and School Sport New Zealand. We are aware that Associations, Schools, teams, players and parents need time to consider options including flight bookings, accommodation and other aspects.

Alert levels can change our circumstances very quickly, so we are operating within a very fluid environment – please bear with us during this time. We are aiming to make a call on these events no later than one month before tip off from each event. If Alert Levels increase or remain by that deadline, it is likely we will be forced to either postpone or cancel the event.

For the national events, we need an alert level no higher than Alert Level 1 to host within Government requirements. Alert Level 2 means we cannot host a national event with more than 100 people – our national events have well over 100 people attending.

Currently we see the Government placing different regions under different alert levels. It is possible that an event could still be hosted in some areas, while other areas are excluded. While this is not ideal, it is an option we need to consider.

Keep training | It remains our intent to host these events if we can confidently meet the Government’s health and safety requirements. For this reason, we want to emphasise the importance to continue to train within the alert restrictions. Preparing to play is especially important for health and safety reasons, so that players continue preparing as best they can to lessen the risk of injury.

Next steps | Right now the Government has stated a continuation of Alert Level 3 in Auckland until 11.59 Wednesday 26 August. (It is expected that the Government will give an indication of next steps and review the Alert levels on Friday 21 August). We will look to update our community of any developments.


Schick 3×3 Cup 2020 Postponed

The NBL will be postponing the Schick 3×3 Cup to sometime in October or November.

The event was scheduled to tip-off 3 September, but given the current travel restrictions in place, plus a number of flights currently deactivated across the country, there is too much uncertainty to host this in less than three weeks’ time.

A number of alternative dates are available in October and November, which are being considered. The NBL is committed to holding the event during this time. A final decision on dates will be made once there is a clearer understanding of the ability for players to travel.